Monday, November 2, 2009

Rest In Peace

I received news at about 9pm that there were three UTAR students feared drowned at Kampar Waterfall. I didn't bother much about the news. I only started following the news when I knew that they were swept by strong current at around 5pm, when it was raining heavily in Kampar. Also, some of my friends knew the victims personally.

At about 11pm I started praying for their safety and checking news feeds non-stop. At 11.42pm, a fellow UTAR First Aider who was at the scene confirmed James' death. Moments later, Yew Shy Gin was found dead.

It is 1.04am now. I had been praying for hours for the safety of the remaining victim. At about 12.50am, news of survivor Yew Ghim Chnieh found was spread. I was overjoyed for the miracle. Alas, my hopes were shattered when a friend told me that he passed away in the hospital.

I don't know these three victims personally. But to quote from a friend of mine,

"Each human we talk to, we met and we interacted. WE are linked in ways that one might not see the linkage. But IN this life, although we had just met not long ago but YOU have changed each and every single one YOU meet. Believe me... You have made a change to all the people around you..."

This sudden lost of so many lives made me realise just how fragile life is. I might have seen their faces on Friday. I might have gave them a stranger's smile when I was walking to the cafeteria. And yet, their lives are lost just like that. Reminds me to appreciate people around me. Because I might be the next one to meet my Maker.

Another friend of mine asked me to say a prayer for the lost souls and I chose the Lord's prayer. I am not a Christian and am not very familiar with prayers. But I do know that this is a general prayer and it was often recited at sea to those who perished in the waters.

I dedicate this to thy souls.
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.
May you rest in peace.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Amen.

Lee said...

Hi Ryanne, regret to read of the sad loss of the 3 boys. Always sad to hear any loss of lives.
Deepest sympathies to their parents and families, Lee.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails